Location: Oregon, United States

Monday, May 22, 2006

Week 5

Monday, May 1st

Susie goes home today and we are both weepy. We never said goodbye in Minnesota and now we have to face it. She may come out again in June to take surfing lessons with us (!), but we'll see.

Now that she's gone, I have to face my piles and boxes again. This is actually a good thing, as I am still anxious to move forward on unpacking so that I can move forward with life in general.

I also found a doctor and made an appointment for the kids to be seen by her. I really like her but I realize I've made a mistake. Her office is in Beaverton, the next community over. I had thought this would not be a big deal - like driving to Edina from Eden Prairie - but I am wrong. It takes a good 20 to 25 minutes to get to her office, she is only in this office one day a week, and the hospital she does rounds at is in Portland proper. I will have to keep looking for someone closer to our house.

Also, I get bids on knocking out a wall in the kitchen, putting in more cabinets in the kitchen and repairing the deck off the master bedroom (the previous owners had run out of time to fix this). I am surprised when the people coming in to give me bids say they will get back to me in a week or so. What is that? Don't you want the job? But that's the way it is out here. People don't call you right back, they wait a few days and then call. I feel like I'm from New York City or something - the waiting makes me crazy and I am powerless to do anything about it. Aaargh!

Paul wants to go see Mt. St. Helen's this weekend because there was an article about it in the paper recently. Evidently, there is a fin-shaped piece of rock jutting out of the cone that grows about four feet a day. Cool! But the kids are NOT in the mood. They are feeling completely run ragged and they just want to hang out and chill for once. They advocate effectively for themselves and we decide to wait.

Saturday night at about 3 a.m., I wake up sick to my stomach. Yech. By about 1 in the afternoon on Sunday, Paul has it too. The kids are amazing troopers while we lay around. They even offer to go the store on their bikes (crossing T.V. Highway) and buy themselves dinner. I am fortunately able to rally by then and take them in the car. I would have to be on my death bed before I will let them cross that highway without me. Good thing we decided not to go to Mt. St. Helen's.


Post a Comment

<< Home