Name:
Location: Oregon, United States

Saturday, October 21, 2006

Stuff

Just a few random things that are on my mind:

Haralsons: When the leaves start to turn and the air gets cool, it is time for Haralson apples. So I began looking for them in the store, eagerly anticipating their tart flavor and perfection when cooked and baked. They were nowhere to be found. Strange, I thought, maybe the season is different out here or something. So I asked one of the produce guys at the grocery store. "Oh, no. We don't get Haralsons. No one around here bakes so they are hard to sell. Maybe you should try some of the local orchards or farmers markets for an exotic variety like that." Exotic? Are you kidding me? Now I know how the kids feel because we can't find Kemp's Yo-J or Potato Topper.
The good news about the apples is that they can be shipped and my sister was kind and generous enough to send me a box full. Whew! Maybe I will save one and plant it...

Conferences: We just finished conferences for the kids. They are doing really well - A's and B's. (In case you are wondering, William is in all mainstreamed classes except for math. He will be ready to be in mainstreamed math by next year.) I had a very cordial discussion with Stephen's teacher during which I expressed my confusion regarding A.) his test scores from Minnesota B.) his performance here in Oregon, which has been encouraging thus far and C.) the fact that he is qualifies for Title 1 services. The teacher and I agreed that, while he is performing slightly below the standard, he is not far enough behind to fit the "discrepancy model". On the other hand, we also agreed that he could probably perform up to his ability if he had some supports in place and we will be looking into what is called a 504. This is very encouraging news, as I felt like the teacher was receptive to my input and we are moving forward. My last interaction with her felt like banging my head against a brick wall.

Guilty pleasure: Okay, this is so stupid but I have to say it. Thomas, Stephen and I have been watching Mr. Meaty on Nickelodeon. It is a show (using puppets) about two teenagers, Josh and Parker, that work in a fast food restaurant at the mall. The mall girls are also there - among them, Ashley and Ashley II - and when they are disgusted they make a sound like a cat coughing up a hairball. They go to the bathroom in groups, where they have worldwide multi-media meetings about Unicorns and guys that are dissing them. Josh and Parker are clueless as they try unsuccessfully to understand the mall girls or do stupid things like eating raw meat and dealing with the consequences (a giant tapeworm that leaps out of Parker's mouth, eating everything before he can.) Eeeew! Hack, hack. The whole show is disgustingly gross, but oh, so funny! Paul and William can't stand it, so it doesn't appeal to everyone, but I highly recommend it for extremely stupid fun.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bethany Joy said...

that show sounds just plain wierd. i'm glad i'm not a mall girl. does that show devote any time to normal people? (meaning not desgusting and not girly girly girly)

7:15 PM  
Blogger Lydia said...

Yep, it is just plain weird, hence therefore the humor. Nope, there aren't any "normal" people, only character sketches. Normal people are not fun to laugh at.

8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home