Name:
Location: Oregon, United States

Friday, March 16, 2007

Talking to strangers, Model Cars

Talking to Strangers. You know how your mom always told you to never talk to strangers? Well, I have been thinking about that a lot lately with my job and then my life. It's my job to approach strangers that may be homeless, start a conversation with them, get to know them, etc. etc. It's not the kind of thing your mom would encourage. 80% of the people I talk to are under the influence, 30% are mentally ill, most have a police record of some sort. The weird thing is, once you get comfortable talking to strangers, it's hard to stop. I was at the grocery store the other day, going about my shopping, and this guy came up and started talking to me. It became apparent very quickly that he was mentally ill and I thought to myself, "What? Now strangers are coming up and talking to me?" But not five minutes later, I started a conversation with another stranger in the checkout line. Aaaa! Turn me off! Disclaimer: Do not try this at home. These stunts are performed by trained professionals in a wide variety of situations.

Model Cars. William had to assemble a model car for Basic Auto class. It was a great idea, as it really helped to grasp how each part interacted with the whole. BUT, William doesn't DO small motor, which means Paul was enlisted to help (he used to make models when he was a kid, so a natural choice). Then Paul left for North Carolina, and it was up to me to help. I have determined that making models is not my favorite past time. In fact, I find it utterly maddening, frustrating, and INFURIATING! Not to mention BORING!! Gah! How could anybody want to do this for fun?! The pieces stick together only long enough for you to think you've really got it made. You let it sit out to dry for some time. Then, you go to add the next series of pieces and suddenly, PING! PING! PING! A bunch of pieces from the last session fall off. Ugh! The only way this could be remotely fun would be if the glue was toxic and toasted your brain. Hey! That's what was missing! We were using safe glue!

1 Comments:

Blogger Bethany Joy said...

coolieo. i like building stuff. but i like big scale stuff- where you get to use nail guns :P

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home