Name:
Location: Oregon, United States

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Destiny

HomePlate is the drop in center for youth that I have been involved with since June. I started out as a regular volunteer, then added outreach work, then the steering committee. The Coordinator is also a Gustavus grad - we have hit it off beautifully - our approach and outlook to working with youth is very similar, and we have dreams of making HomePlate a full time drop in center.

This is another one of those things that has been interesting to watch unfold. When we considered moving out here, one of my criteria was that I would be able to find meaningful work that I could enjoy. My presumption was that I would be working in downtown Portland. After we got here, I realized that was going to be a 45 min commute each way, and part time hours were going to be hard to find. Then I found the job I currently have, which I totally enjoy, is in our county, and now that the Safe Haven has opened up, my office is about five minutes away.

But I didn't want to lose the youth piece, so I have continued with HomePlate, cautiously watching to see if it was going to be too much. So far so good. The other night, we had another Steering Committee meeting and began discussing our need for an Executive Director. As soon as the topic came up, I lost all the spit in my mouth. This is one of my signals that I am supposed to DO something. But good Lord, Executive Director? So I waited it out. We decided to come up with a job description. Bing, bing bing, right down the line - things I was already doing or would be happy to do. Then the qualifications. Again, you might as well just put my name in the slot. But no one was looking at me funny, so I knew I was the only one thinking this was a tailor-made job for me. Then the kicker - how many hours do we think this would take per week? 2 - 5. Is that all? So what's the fuss? I can do THAT! So I said something like, "I would like to put my name in as a candidate for that position." And everyone nearly fell off their chairs because this is a need that has been around for a long time and we were thinking we'd have to advertise, and it would take months more, and here I am just sitting in the room going, "Well, duh, I can do that." So I'm in, and we changed the title to Co-coordinator to reflect the partnering element of the role, and it is very, very cool. Hurrah!

2 Comments:

Blogger Bethany Joy said...

wow- thats really cool.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Rosie said...

Lydia, I am so fascinated by your insights and perceptions of things. So don't be concerned about writing something "new".
I just hope you can find time in your schedule to share some of your ideas with us.
Love ya.

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home